OSHA requires Forklift certification no matter what industry you work in. Operator certification is required to be refreshed every three years or if the operator has shown a deficiency in knowledge or operation a refresher course is due then.
The PIT or forklift certification consist of the following topics:
- Operating instructions, warnings and precautions
- Differences from automobile
- Controls and instrumentation
- Steering and maneuvering
- Fork and attachment adaptation, operation, use
- Vehicle capacity and stability
- Vehicle inspection and maintenance
- Refueling/Recharging batteries
- Operating limitations
Composition and stability of loads
Load manipulation, stacking, unstacking
Narrow aisles and restricted areas
Operating on ramps and sloped surfaces
Operating in closed environments or other areas where poor ventilation or maintenance could cause carbon monoxide or diesel exhaust buildup.
This course does require a passing grade on a written exam and completion of a practical skills test where the operator performs an inspection and demonstrates correct use of the forklift.