10 Hour Construction Class:
This course is the most requested course for the general construction worker of all trades or skills.
Topics presented are:
1. Mandatory – 7 hours
a) Introduction to OSHA – 2 hours.
(1) OSHA has required training content for this module – see
(2) Covers workers’ rights, employer responsibilities and how to file a
complaint. It includes helpful worker safety and health resources.
It also provides a sample weekly fatality and catastrophe report, a
material data safety sheet and the OSHA Log of Work-Related
Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300).
(3) Materials include an Instructor Guide, PowerPoint slides, student
handouts, and participatory activities.
b) OSHA Focus Four Hazards – 4 hours. Because most construction
fatalities are caused by fall hazards, falls must be covered for a minimum
of one hour and 15 minutes. The other Focus Four Hazards must be
covered for a minimum of one-half hour each.
(1) Falls (minimum 1 hour and 15 minutes)
(3) Struck-By (e.g., falling objects, trucks, cranes)
(4) Caught-In or Between (e.g., trench hazards, equipment)
c) Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – 30 minutes.
d) Health Hazards in Construction – 30 minutes. May teach noise, hazard
communication, and crystalline silica or any other construction health
2. Elective – 2 hours. Must present at least two hours of training on the following
topics. At least two topics must be presented. The minimum length of any topic
is one-half hour.
a) Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Elevators, & Conveyors
c) Materials Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal
e) Stairways and Ladders
f) Tools – Hand and Power
3. Optional – 1 hour. Teach other construction industry hazards or policies and/or
expand on the mandatory or elective topics. The minimum length of any topic is